Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Running and Stretching

Every once in a while I come across a study that causes me to just stop and scratch my head. Recently, for example, I read an article about running and stretching. It was posted on MSN Health.

The study divided 2000 runners into two groups, one of which was instructed to perform about 5 minutes of stretching before running, while those in the second group were told not to stretch before running. The purpose of the study was to determine if running related injuries could be prevented through performing a simple series of stretches before jogging and running.

The interesting outcome was that it really didn't matter!  The rate of injury was the same in both groups, was about 16%, with most injuries occurring in the feet, ankles, and knees.

To make things even more strange, the study found that injuries were significantly higher for those that changed their routines in order to participate in the study. In other words, injuries increased by 40% in runners that were used to stretching before a run and then had to quit stretching to participate in the study. The injury rate was 22% higher in those that went from not stretching to stretching.

The moral of the story is that everyone is different, and routines vary from person to person. As a runner, I have found that I do not like to stretch before a run. Instead, I start lightly and gradually build the intensity of the run as I warm up.  If you find that you enjoy stretching before you run and exercise, by all means continue.

Keith Biggs, DC
http://www.eastmesachiropractor.com
http://therapeuticfoods.blogspot.com

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Great post. i have bookmarked this page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting article. I have gone to chiropractic care after major accidents and now have adopted it as a part of my health maintenance. I would recommend it to anyone suffering from back pain or anyone who is just trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff dude!!!! I read an article and knew about running and stretching. Absolutely right, running and jugging are very good for health.Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete