Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Goodbye Mark

I have been saddened recently by the news of the passing of an old friend. We grew up together in Phoenix. We attended the same school and played at each others' houses. I moved away from the old neighborhood when I was about 10 years old, and we lost contact.  Never the less, he was a significant part of my early childhood, and I will never forget him.

He died last Saturday. It was sudden... from what I have heard. Since we have not been in contact with each other for many years, all of the data that I am receiving is through my parents, who are good friends with his parents. It seems that he was not feeling very well, so his wife encouraged him to make a doctor's appointment, which he did, but he passed away before the appointment.  Based on this information, I would venture to guess that he died as a result of a massive heart attack or stroke. Either way, my friend is gone, and I am left with memories of hunting horned toads, football games, and endless cowboy and Indian adventures.  It feels somewhat strange to me because he and I are the same age. It saddens me to think that his life is over. 48 years is such a short time.


My friend might have been saved if he had made it to his appointment or to the hospital in time... maybe. About 1/3 of all "first time" heart attacks are fatal. They often are the result of non-symptomatic heart disease that occurs over years. On the one hand, a sudden heart attack is a simple and quick and painless end. We are all mortal, and death is just another door through which we must all pass. I choose to believe that he was taken home to his loving and kind Father in Heaven. On the other hand, Mark's death takes from us a friend, brother, father, and husband. His early passing in life is a true tragedy. We that are left behind are the ones that will mourn.

As I said earlier, I am 48 years old. I am at the age when heart attacks are a significant risk. My friend's death could have been mine. Instead, his passing gives me a renewed sense of opportunity and urgency in my life. You see, as a physician, I am aware of many of the risk factors that can lead to heart disease. I know that a diet full of fried foods, butter, bread, sugar, pastries, candy, ice cream, sodas, red meats, and salt, among other things, will lead to cardiovascular disease. I know that a lack of exercise and a sedentary lifestyle puts me and everyone else at greater risk. I know that smoking and alcohol consumption greatly increase our risks for heart disease. I know that a Mediterranean style diet, vitamin supplements, and regular exercise can help to prevent cardiovascular disease. I have been blessed with a wonderful education and many years of clinical experience. Please don't misunderstand. I do not imply that Mark lived an unhealthy lifestyle. I don't know if my friend practiced a healthy habits or not. This is one thing that I will never know.

But two very important things that I know is that: 1) My heart aches for Mark and his family, and 2) that in spite of my education and all the information that I have regarding health, diet, and disease, I am just like you. I don't apply my knowledge. At least, I haven't in the past.  Sure, I don't smoke and I don't drink, but I also don't eat right. I justify myself by saying that I might as well enjoy my meals. I rationalize that "it will never happen to me." My friend has, in a very real way, just reminded me of the truth. It can happen to me, and if I don't wake up and change my life style, I am placing myself at significant risk. These are the cold and hard facts.

In memory of my friend, I vow to make changes in my own life. I promise to renew my efforts in educating my patients about the real risks that they are taking. I will miss my friend, but to him, I am thankful. Thanks for the fun games, for the play time, and for being part of the "wonder years". Thank you for the very real lesson of life and mortality. I will do better. I owe it to my wife, my kids, my grand-daughter, and my patients. Goodbye Mark. Thanks for the memories.

Keith Biggs, DC

No comments:

Post a Comment